Sunday, July 14, 2013

Paris in July - Week 2 wrap up


View from Mt Ventoux
Paris in July is a joy to host and an honour to be involved in - I'm always amazed at how diverse our posts can be, yet we're all heading in the same direction - towards Paris and all things French.  Tonight I'm reviewing the weeks activities - from July 8 - 14th. I've flicked through all the posts I could find (I'm sorry we've had issues with Mr Linky over at Karen's Blog, and my own blog presence has been lacking this week), but here's a quick look what's been happening.

Book Posts
Film and Music Posts
Photo Posts
Recipe & Food Posts
History Posts
  • 14 July - Bastille Day - Vagabond provides some history
  • Nari at The Novel World is posting the A - Z of Paris, France - check out some of these...
    • Arrondissements
    • Bastille
    • Cafe
    • Degas
    • Eiffel Tower
    • Fromage
    • Godard
    • Haussman
It's difficult for me to summarise in detail each post, but I've made a recommendation of my favourite posts for your ready reference.

I wanted to award a gift to one blogger for this week and also a gift to a Bastille Day post - I've decided to wait til Wednesday to identify the Bastille Day winner, but for this week I've selected Vagabondes' post on La Piscine Molitol as very interesting, engaging and informative. Vagabonde, if you can email me (see my about me page for email) your address I'll send you a small gift.

Also, I wanted to bring everyones attention to Vagabondes' comments on my Bastille Day post - I've found this very helpful information
I wrote a comment earlier and deleted it because it only talked about the name of our national holiday “le quatorze Juillet” which is called Bastille’s Day in the Anglophone world. The storming of the Bastille in Paris was a symbolic gesture as there were only 7 common criminals in the prison then. The people were revolting against two inequalities and privileges held by the aristocracy and the clergy - this is why after the revolution so many churches were burnt and destroyed – then later on of course they were repaired by the government as they had been seized from the Church and made into national monuments. What people celebrate really is not the Bastille but what were the ramifications from this people revolution – more solidarity, more social equality – for example there is universal health care and free education starting at 3 years old, five weeks of vacation is mandatory (by law) in comparison to the country where I live, the USA, vacations are not guaranteed by law. So people keep celebrating their freedom from the aristocracy and the clergy and the laws which help them have a happy life. Thank you for taking an interest in my country, this is very kind.
Check out Paris and Beyond for the photo of the day - 14 July. 

10 comments:

Paulita said...

Wow. Lots of diversity. Looking forward to the rest of the month.

skiourophile said...

So much to explore - I do love this month of Frenchiness so much!

Jeanie said...

I love Vagabonde's blog -- she's a great one to feature! Thanks for this list -- gives me lots more to check out!

Christy (A Good Stopping Point) said...

Aw, thanks for recommending my song post! I love sharing beautiful music. And it's wonderful to see so many posts - some I haven't checked out yet and need to.

Mae Travels said...

As for food, I tried to replicate a dish that I ate in Paris. The taste was good, the presentation was less so...
http://maefood.blogspot.com/2013/07/capturing-taste-of-paris.html

Mae Travels said...

I'm still wrapping up my trip to Paris from earlier this month. Today I wrote about medieval Paris:
http://maetravels.blogspot.com/2013/07/medieval-paris.html

Buried In Print said...

Whenever I read about the other cultural options (not just books!), I get inspired to participate even more. Thanks for all the temptations!

Mel u said...

This event has inspired me to revisit some old French masters.

Anonymous said...

Where is the week 3 wrap up ?...I can`t seem to find it .

Ju Haghverdian said...

Oh loved all the links, visiting each on of them made me miss Paris even more.. aaw
it was a pleasure to participate, cant wait for the next year!