Thursday, July 17, 2014

Food Bloggers with French flavour!




I feel like I should apologise because this post is totally virtual – I haven’t prepared any French food to rave about, I haven’t been to any French restaurants recently to share photo’s or reviews with you, I haven’t interviewed anyone interesting, or been to any French food workshops... this post is all about French food blogs that I have been following or recently discovered. I am preparing this post totally virtually, on my regular (2x week) 3 hour commute from the office to my home. Dreaming about French food is a great way to pass the time on a train. I’m hoping you enjoy the trip with me.

My first and favourite French food blog is David Lebovitz – and he’s not even French! Like some other bloggers we know, he’s an American living in Paris. This fact however, I find is appealing. He is living my dream, and vicariously I am transported with him. He regularly posts about new restaurants, favourite local haunts, new drinks, how to type posts, and he’s un ashamedly a bit opinionated. Some of my favourite posts include

Then my next favourite, and newest edition to my list, if Foodme.fr  Didier, who is married to an American living in Paris, recently allowed me to interview him for Paris in July (check it out). Didier shared with his followers recipes and his love of French food through his personalised cooking schools.  Some great recipes from Didier (I haven't made these but they look good) include;

Green Veloute Soup
Beef Fillet Mignon Medallions with Gorgonzo
Chocolate-Raspberry Paradise

I've recently stumbled across an Australian based food blogger, the French Wench, who has done a couple of great posts, very relevant for Aussie French food lovers.  Her recent post about Sydney based restaurant, Vincent, has me very tempted.

Check out the Everyday French Chef - she posts menu idea's, recipes and advice about cooking french food. I really like this
What to make for dinner? The everyday menus below provide suggestions for easy meals with a French touch that can be made any day of the week in 20-30 minutes. The weekend menus suggest more elaborate meals for days when you have more time. Use them as a guide, and improvise to create your own. It’s all part of the fun of cooking.
Meg Bortin, the Everyday French Chef, says ...it’s a modern, down-to-earth way of cooking that will allow you to put delicious French food on your table in the simplest possible way, any day, or every day

My next new discover and I'm loving this discovery, is Manger.  This is how our host at Manger describes herself...
 Ever since I was a little girl I have been deeply passionate about food. My childhood was largely spent scurrying between the restaurants of Hong Kong, where I grew up, and the bistros of Paris and the south of France where we spent our holidays at my French grandmother’s. Food was constantly on my mind, I’m the girl who was always happiest at the table
The author of A Kitchen in France; a year of cooking in my farmhouse, Mimi Thorisson, shares with us her beautiful photos, life on the farm in France, and amazing recipes!

There must be hundreds and thousands of French food blogs, facebook sites and pinterest pages, these are just my current favourites. And here's just a few more to mention.....
  • Canelle et Vanille - She posts beautiful photos, publishes recipe books and it's all Gluten Free!
  • Tartelette - a blog devoted to food photography, fresh seasonal ingredients and the simple things in life. Author Helene, is a Senior Photographer at Oxmoor House, the cookbook division for Cooking Light magazine, Southern Living, Coastal magazine, and many other. A French expat, photographer, wife, dog lover, traveler..... presents beautiful photos!
  • La Tartine Gourmande - born and raised in the countryside in northeastern France, has lived in New Zealand and now the United States, Béa (short for Béatrice), is a food writer, stylist and photographer based in Boston where she lives with my husband and daughter Lulu
  • Chocolate and Zucchini -  Cloltilde is our host, and she has some great pages devoted to hints & tips, interviews, travel, Paris resources, & reading recommendations. I love the name of her blog!
I love France for fresh food, and there's nothing better to remember your holiday to France, than enjoying the food you've eating when in France.

What are your favourite food blogs?
What are your favourite food memories of France?
It’s a modern, down-to-earth way of cooking that will allow you to put delicious French food on your table in the simplest possible way, any day, or every day.

– Meg Bortin
- See more at: http://everydayfrenchchef.com/about/#sthash.qYobI69T.dpuf
What to make for dinner? The everyday menus below provide suggestions for easy meals with a French touch that can be made any day of the week in 20-30 minutes. The weekend menus suggest more elaborate meals for days when you have more time. Use them as a guide, and improvise to create your own. It’s all part of the fun of cooking. - See more at: http://everydayfrenchchef.com/menus/#sthash.i4qIh21B.dpuf
What to make for dinner? The everyday menus below provide suggestions for easy meals with a French touch that can be made any day of the week in 20-30 minutes. The weekend menus suggest more elaborate meals for days when you have more time. Use them as a guide, and improvise to create your own. It’s all part of the fun of cooking. - See more at: http://everydayfrenchchef.com/menus/#sthash.i4qIh21B.dpuf

10 comments:

littleRamstudio said...

Memorable lunch was sat in the shade at our Fermette. Looking out over the distant snow capped Pyrenees whilst eating, ficelle with soft two day old goats cheese fresh from the local market in Vic Fezensac. This simple bread and cheese was topped with fresh strawberries from our one acre veggie garden.
And all we could hear were the cows on the next hillside munching the grass.
Heather :)

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

What a fantastic resource , Tamara! Wonderful links and connxns - thank you! nothing at all wrong with your posting this helpful virtuality =)

Jeanie said...

And what is the matter with a totally virtual post? When you share good info and links like this, it doesn't matter to me whether you have cooked them or someone else did!

Louise said...

I've learnt so much from food bloggers. Another great one is Carol Gilot's fantastic Parisbreakfasts- every post is a world of inspiration- not only food- art too, fashion, dogs, Paris.

skiourophile said...

I love David Lebovitz's blog too. A local blogger who is currently at the Cordon Bleu school in Paris is G'Day Souffle: http://www.gdaysouffle.com/ I'm off to explore your links - there's a couple there new to me, which is very exciting!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

OOH you just made me hungry :)

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

I learned to make macarons four years ago by following the wonderfully detailed directions of Tartalette. Virtual or not you have assembled a wonderful reference to bloggers, books and food.

Bises,
Genie

Anonymous said...

So many wonderfully new websites to visit! I am particularly interested in the Everyday French Chef. I would love to incorporate more French cooking in my American kitchen.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

So, will there be a linky for another week of "july in paris" - I am ready...

Bises,
Genie

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I could spend all day browsing these French food blogs. Thanks for sharing them.