Saturday, March 10, 2018

French Film Festival Sydney

I love french films - I love the way the French make films - I love learning things about the French people through their films... So for many years now I've been going to Sydney to see french films at the Alliance Francaise French Film Festival. This year its running pretty much all of March - soo many movies to choose from.. So I thought I'd mention the first three I have seen - and have enjoyed.

1. The most challenging and also the best movie I've seen so far was 'Beats per Minute' (in english) or 120 Battements par Minute. It's set in Paris, and the members of the advocacy group ACT UP are demanding action by the Government and Pharmaceutical companies to fight the AIDS epidemic in the early 1990s. I was a young  graduate during that era, and this movie has really changed by understanding of the world back then. I would definitely watch this one again. here's a link to the short.


2. Back to Burgundy, set in Burgundy (haha), is a lovely story of adult siblings returning to their family vineyard when Dad dies. They love their vines and their wine but their adults lives have taken them to different places, and staying on the land isn't the only choice they have to make.



3. C'est La Vie was the premiere film of this years festival - and it made us laugh and giggle. It was about Max, a seasoned wedding event organiser and caterer. Today, it’s all hands on deck for Pierre and Héléna’s nuptials in a breathtaking 17th century French chateau.  As per usual, Max has everything precisely organised but, as the celebrations get underway, Murphy’s Law takes over.  we were sitting on the edge of our seats as Max and his team pull together to make Pierre and Héléna’s special day memorable for all the right reasons. 


My thoughts so far -  still love french cinema. I have two more weeks to fit in a few more movies, and I hope to see at least another 5.... I'll be overdosed by the end of the month. If you care to see what's on this season, check it out here.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Oh my! Five more! These all look good, especially the Vineyard and the wedding planner, I think. I doubt these will ever come to my town but perhaps someday on video!